Friday, July 10, 2009

Friday Arts Quotes: Slings and Arrows Season 1

Ever since I got to Kamloops I have been missing live theatre. It's been a month since I've seen a show and will be another month until I see another. In an effort to appease my soul's desire to see live shows, I've been watching Slings and Arrows. If you've never heard of the show, it's time you watched it. All of it.

In the meantime, let me present you with a couple of quotes from the first season when the fictional theatre company produces "Hamlet".

"Cheer up, Hamlet; chin up, Hamlet; buck up, you melancholy Dane! So your uncle is a cad who murdered Dad and married Mum. That's really no excuse to be as glum as you've become! So wise up, Hamlet; rise up, Hamlet; perk up and sing a new refrain. Your incessant monologizing fills the castle with ennui. Your antic disposition is embarrassing to see. And by the way, you sulky brat, the answer is to be! You're driving poor Ophelia insane. So shut up, you rogue and peasant; grow up, it's most unpleasant; cheer up, you melancholy Dane!"
- Act 1 Theme Song

"There are some of you who will be terrified to learn that I'm going to take over direction of this play. There are others who will be thrilled because they know that in my production there will be little danger of you stepping in a pile of horse shit. But I think that there is one thing that both, the pro-Geoffrey and the anti-Geoffrey, camps can agree upon and that is, that my reason may very well be hanging by a thread. Well, my friends, it is my belief that the best of happens just before the thread snaps"
- Geoffry Tennant

No comments: